Since we are coming up on the end of the year, I have really been thinking a lot about 2018 and how it went down (not too bad, actually) and how I want 2019 to look. I used to do New Year’s resolutions and would crush it for the first week or so and then…crash and burn. Mostly because of the following reasons:
- My resolutions were just so out of my norm;
- I didn’t have a real “plan.”
- I had no end game.
This year I’m not doing resolutions. Over the last couple of years, I have learned (the hard way) that for me I need to dive headlong in, but only in mind initially. From there, I start to brain dump into my journal. I’ve actually just begun this process for my December 2018 goals (aka short-term goals/intentions) and a couple for 2019, and this morning spent about an hour brain dumping into my journal. I thought it would be cool to share some of the processes with you, which will work for whatever your goals/intentions are, I’m pretty sure. Below I will share one of my top 3 and how I plan to get ‘er done. So here we go.
- Think about what you would like to accomplish next year. Write it all down. Every single little thing that pops into your head. Write it down in one big, fat brain dump.
- Read through all of it once or twice. A few are going to really stick out and you are going to keep coming back to those. Circle them. Now read through all of them again. Tighten up those few that jump into your heart and stick.
- On a clean sheet of paper, or turn the page, or on the back (what-ev-er) write down the top five things you want to accomplish next year. Focus on each one for a few minutes. Or longer. This is your gig. You are in charge.
- Circle or highlight or write over them with glitter, but pick the 1 or 2 or 3 that really has/have your gut screaming…”THIS!!!!!!!”
- I personally draw a line under my top few at this point, but you don’t have to. Unless you want to fail. (#justkidding) Make this your own…what feels right to you (again with the gut feeling.)
- If you have a #1, now is the time to let it shine. Write it out. Get specific. Write out all the particulars, the whys, the wheres, the whos, the whens, and the hows. Still kinda brain dumping here, but I actually space these out so that I can go back and fill out even more detail if needed.
- By now you are probably wondering, “geez, woman, how long is this gonna take?” Honestly, I only spent an hour on it this morning. And I only focused on my #1. Tomorrow I will do the same with my #2 and then #3 if I still feel it is attainable. Because let’s be super-duper real for a moment. I’m tired of not succeeding. Notice I didn’t say fail? Instead of “fail” I like to think, “learned.” I didn’t succeed but I sure as heck learned a lot about how NOT to go about it. I want to set myself up to succeed this time. And most of the time from now on. And don’t email me or text me or call me about the f(ail) word. I get it. We do fail. But the more I keep using that word, thinking that word, writing that word, the more likely I am to f. Let’s get positive (anyone else start singing “let’s get physical?” No? Me, neither.) Anyway, let’s get back on track with all the paragraphs.
- So you have your #1 goal/intention there. And you’ve brain dumped everything you can think about that one thing. Pick your top 10 things you can start doing today, or this week, or this month, to move closer to that #1 goal. And write those out again. Except for this time…write them out as if you are already doing them. Maybe you already are doing them for realz.
- Here is where I share one of my goals/intentions for 2019. Actually, beginning December 2018, and it shouldn’t come as a surprise to you. I’ve been working on getting to the gym, eating healthier, etc. And of course, I want to lose weight. I have a goal written out. It’s not a number, it’s not a size. But my 10 top things I can start doing today, and have been doing some of them, that I am going to write about in the present, include (and no judgment, please): I am moving more. I am wearing cute clothes. I am going to the gym three days a week. I am hitting the weights 2x a week. So…you get the idea? The things I want to be doing in order to succeed at my goal, I will write about and talk about in the present tense.
- And don’t just write them down this one time, but all the time. When you talk about them…talk about them in the present tense also. And, #duh, do them. Because thinking them, writing them, and doing them, will make them actually happen.
Okay, so now for the difficult part. You need to do this every day. Not the whole thing…just #9. Seriously, Y’all know I journal. I’ve started journaling more about my goals and intentions every day. And now? It’s happening. My goals are actually becoming reality. More on that over the next few weeks and months. But one of my short-term goals was to move up a rank in Young Living from a Distributor to Star. #boom #done. Next essential oil biz goal is Senior Star…by the end of December 2018.
Hopefully, someone pulled something useful out of this mess of a blog post.
See Y’all…soon…ish. And thank you for all of the encouragement and feedback!